Lost network trying to upgrade to testing

I've been running Woody (with a 2.4 kernel) for a while on my laptop. I decided to try out testing, so I followed the steps in the Debian Reference. But at the end of section 5.2[1], I was left without a network connection: cardmgr was uninstalled, so my LinkSys network card is not being setup; ie, /dev/eth0 is gone. How can I complete the upgrade without a network connection? I still have my original Woody CDs, but I'm unclear how I should proceed.

Thanks,
Randy.

1. <http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/ch-woody.en.html#s-testing-transition>