GDM startup fail

This is strange, I normally shutdown the system but next time boot up, gdm can't startup the Xwindow.  It just flashed a time, go to blackscreen, and repeat this step for arround 5 times. Finally gdm said 'Seems sth. goes bad. can't start x. '

I switch to xdm with kde, it works fine. I manually stop the gdm process and type 'gdm ' in command line, also I could get the gnome xsystem work.  So the XFree86 config file should be ok.

I tried to remove and reinstall  gdm, xwindow, gnome, did not resolve the problem.

So what's going on?

I use 2.4 kernel , gdm and gnome.

Thx.

AOC请您看奥运-2004年雅典奥运会AOC助威团 http://design.163.com/aocmonitor/index.html