Re: tetex-bin 2.0.2-14 problems AGAIN

On 25 May 2004, Joris Huizer wrote:
> v.demartino2@virgilio.it wrote:
> >It has become a serious problem!
> >After the message here attached I completely uninstalled all the tetex
> >packages
> >& the tex connected ones (lyx, texmacs, etc.) by means of "apt-get remove
> >--purge pasckage"; then - to be on the safe side - I removed by hand the
> >/etc/texmf & /usr/share/texmf directories with their subdirs.
> >
> >Reinstalling all over again tetex-2.0.2 from the official debian testing
> >archive via apt-get install tetex-bin again caiuses a problem: when setting
> >the package up debian testing complains about  a missing configuration file
> >under /etc/texmf (as I said this dir was removed by hand by me!)
> >
> >What's going on?
> >
> >Please help
> >Vittorio
> >

> You can try and type,
>   dpkg -S <file>
> which will tell you in which package that missing file is; Then do a
> apt-get --reinstall install <package>
>
> I think that'll solve your problem... if not, install apt-file and use
> that to search that configuration file :)
>
> Oh, by the way, to be on the save side, do *not* remove files or
> directories unless you know what you're doing... ;)

I've done this a few times, heart in mouth. My method was, first, to
remove all the relevant files and directories found with locate. Next, I
edited /var/lib/dpkg/status, /var/cache/debconf/config.dat, and
/var/lib/aptitude/pkgstates to show that the relevant package was not
installed. Finally I ran aptitude and changed the entries there to
"uninstalled". I'm not sure that this something you are encouraged to do
but it's worked for me when I've had to resort to it.

Anthony

--
ac@acampbell.org.uk    ||  http://www.acampbell.org.uk
using Linux GNU/Debian ||  for book reviews, electronic