gnome terminal uses much cpu

I've noticed that my gnome terminal (2.4.2) is sluggish and uses alot of cpu. For example. If I unzip a file (unzip foo.zip) in the terminal, 95% of the cpu goes to displaying the output and %5 goes to the zip program. 10 lines per second to the terminal puts my P4 1.7G processor to its knees.

xterm doesn't have this problem. I know that gnome terminal has many more features, but is there no way around the sluggish inefficiency?

Anybody else have this problem?

Randall