Re: What happened to /dev/fd0?

On Tue, May 25, 2004 at 02:32:28PM +0200, Johann Spies wrote:
| I have done two thing that could have changed it:
|
| 1. Installed kernel-image-2.6.6-i686

    # modprobe ide-floppy

| 2. Ran the mkdev.sh script from lm-sensors-sources.
|
| Now there are no devices like /dev/fd0-3
|
| zsh % ls -la /dev/fd*
| lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           13 2004-05-24 19:07 /dev/fd ->
| /proc/self/fd

/dev/fd refers to the file descriptors for the current process and is
unrelated to floppy drives.  (FYI)

| I have tried to create /dev/fd0 by using MAKEDEV but I still cannot
| find the device /dev/fd0.
|
| 04-05-25 14:30:48 js@burger /dev
| zsh % sudo MAKEDEV fd0
| zsh: correct 'fd0' to 'fd' [nyae]? n
| 04-05-25 14:31:09 js@burger /dev
| zsh % ls fd0
| zsh: correct 'fd0' to 'fd' [nyae]? n
| ls: fd0: No such file or directory
| 04-05-25 14:31:19 js@burger /dev
| zsh %
|
| What is going on here?

I've never looked at MAKEDEV (I used devfs and now udev for quite some
time), but you can make the device node with the following command :
    # mknod /dev/fd0 b 2 0
    # chmod 660 /dev/fd0
    # chgrp floppy /dev/fd0

Just out of curiosity, do you have a /dev/floppy directory?

If you are using devfs or udev, then loading the floppy driver will
cause the node to be created automatically.

-D

--
How to shoot yourself in the foot with Java:
    You find that Microsoft and Sun have released incompatible class libraries