Re: suddenly only root can login

I checked the files in /etc/pam.d and nothing looks
out of the ordinary. Is there anything in particular
to look for?

I thought it was a pam problem too, and I saw there
was bug filed against the pam in testing, so I
installed as part of this problem solving process the
following three files from unstable:

libpam-runtime
libpam0g
libpam-modules

For all of the packages I alse did dpkg-reconfigure,
but there were no questions asked.

Richard