Re: Compatible DVD Burner with Linux

On 11. May 2004 at 11:01PM +0200,
"Pedro M. (Morphix User)" <pmacv@telefonica.net> wrote:

> hugo vanwoerkom escribió:
>
> > David Cunningham wrote:
> >
> >> Thank you.  Yes, that post shows their GUI successfully
> >> burning a DVD under Linux.  (I couldn't read the French.)  I
> >> find that reassuring!  There is an interesting and
> >> informative web page on the subject of MMC compliance (and
> >> non-compliance) at
> >> http://fy.chalmers.se/%7Eappro/linux/DVD%2BRW/hcn.html .
> >> This seems to a key issue when determining DVD burner
> >> behavior under Linux.  The article seems to imply not all
> >> DVD burners will behave themselves well under Linux.  I just
> >> stumbled on this after posting to this list.  Thank you for
> >> your feedback.  I don't want to pay a restocking fee if I
> >> choose the wrong DVD burner.  ;)
> >
> > So what's your choice?

I have a Lite-On LDW-851S, with which I have been able to burn
both DVD+R (several) and DVD-R disks (one) with one "coaster"
(actually some parts are readable). Surprisingly the one coaster
is the branded media.

To burn I use dvd+rw-tools with option -speed=1 (which for the
Lite-On means 2.4X for +R and 2X for -R).