Re: Partitioning Scheme for New 120GB Hard Drive -- Comments?

on Fri, Feb 13, 2004 at 06:10:11PM -0500, Al Davis (ad35@freeelectron.net) wrote:
> On Friday 13 February 2004 02:49 pm, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> > You've also left off a recovery partition. ?I keep a 256 MiB - 512
> > MiB partition on which a relatively minimal installation is kept.
>
> I would go farther than that.
>
> My preferred setup is to have enough space to completely install twice.

I suppose you can do that if you want, but there's no particular need.

With a second bootable partition, you've got the option of pretty much
moving anything else around.

With Debian, your "installation" is your package list and /etc/
configurations, mostly (add stuff in /var, and user files).  So you can
wipe /usr with few concerns.  Moreso if you have a local Debian mirror
or apt-proxy cache to load off of.

> That way if I decide to reinstall or make a major upgrade, the other
> one is there for recovery.

<snip>

> It was a way that I could try Debian without losing my old Mandrake
> system.

> It was a way that I could switch to unstable, while keeping stable in
> case of trouble.
>
> It was a way to keep a working system when the switch to gcc 3 and kde 3
> left unstable very broken a few times.

Chroot install allows this, without requiring additional partitions.
Any directory can serve as the parent of a chroot.

> I used it as a recovery partition, when bad memory trashed the one I was
> using.

For this, a small recovery partition is sufficient.  And backups can be
useful.

Peace.

    I don't envy you the headache you'll have when you awake. But in the
    meantime, rest well, and dream of large women.
    - Princess Bride