Re: viewing jpg files on text terminal

Brett Carrington <brettcar@segvio.org> writes:

> On Sun, Feb 01, 2004 at 11:21:34AM -0600, Bill Kalebaugh wrote:
>> [snip lots of stuff about text consoles and jpegs]
> So this got me thinking. Is there anything to display jpegs on a
> terminal as ASCII art? I think aalib can do this? The package
> `hasciicam` does something similar but I don't know if it can
> just simply display a jpeg to the console as ASCII art.
> Any ideas?

Yes, apt-cache show aview:
 aview is a high quality ASCII art image viewer and video player. It is
 especially useful with a text-based browser such as lynx, links or w3m.
 .
 It supports the pnm, pgm, pbm and ppm image formats, as well as
 the FLI and FLC video formats. It also supports output via stdio,
 (n)curses and slang and even has support for gpm.
 .
 Features
  * High quality ASCII art rendering
  * Portable
  * Save into many formats (HTML, text, ANSI, more/less etc...)
  * Contrast, Bright, Gamma control
  * Image zooming/unzooming
  * Three dithering modes
  * Hidden "bonus" features :)
  * Inversion
  * Support for bright, dim, inverse attributes/extended character set

aview itself can only show pnm pictures, but asciiview (which comes with it)
will convert the pictures with netpbm or imagemagick and then display it.

Bijan
--
Bijan Soleymani <bijan@psq.com>
http://www.crasseux.com