Re: Windows and Printing Systems

On Sat, Jan 31, 2004 at 03:07:53PM +0000, Marius Amado Alves wrote:
> * Window/Desktop System *
> I manage to get a decent resolution working with twn. Now, can I change
> to a more modern system? How? I tried to install kde and gnome with
> apt-get but failed upon dependencies. What do I need to put in my
> sources.list? (I don't have CDs yet, just a cable connection.) In the
> meanwhile: how does one close windows in twn?

Try some window managers, they are better than twm and smaller and
more lightweight than KDE or GNOME. Good ones to try are:
windowmaker
icewm
fvwm

> * Printing/CUPS *
> I managed to install cupsys via apt-get and added a printer with the web
> interface, but this printer does not show up in the print dialog of the
> applications. It's an HP DeskJet on the parallell port. What am I missing?

I recommend installing cupsys-client, if you have just one printer. Then
every program that simply pipes postscript to lpr will work out of the box.
An alternative is to tell the application to print to a file and then run
lp file.ps or whatever.

Bijan
--
Bijan Soleymani <bijan@psq.com>