PHP 4 and apache 1.3.26

Hi,

I've succesfully installed apache 1.3.26 and php4.

Now I'm facing a problem, that I have associated to a misconfiguration with mime types.

In fact, when I try to execute a php page, the browser (any type) asks my if I want to download or open the file.

The same thing happened with php3, I previously installed, but I have resolved by associating php to php3 module.

With php4 I tried to do the same, but without the same result.

Any suggestion?
Thanks

Giulio