Re: Hard Drive Seek Errors

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004, Thomas H. George wrote:

> Since installing smartsuite I am getting many reports of hard drive seek
> errors.  One of the drives is brand new, just installed two weeks ago.
>
> I don't understand this.

insufficient info ...

what kind of drives ??
	- if ibm deskstars .. throw it away

buggs in smartsuite ??
	- what is reported by the other SMART sw/ tools ??

	http://www.Linux-1U.net/Diags/
	see the disk section

if you have cdrom/dvd on the same cable as your hard disks..
	- use one drive per cable
	( do NOT mix different speed ata drives on the same cable )

if you have "cheap ide cable" .. throw it away
	- use 80-conductor cable, less that 18" long

check your kernel options for the disk controller
	- dma mode should be supportable

have fun
alvin