Re: mixing stable and testing

On Monday 26 January 2004 09:31 pm, David Rothenberger wrote:
> The Debian Reference (section 6.4.10) suggests that it's better to
> compile from source packages, so you don't end up upgrading libc, for
> example.  Is this really true?

Upgrading libc on stable with libc on testing could easily break a good
portion of your system. One of the reasons aptitude was suggested was
because you can view the dependencies before they are downloaded and make
sure something critical (like libc) won't be affected.

If you prefer to install from source, you could use "apt-get -t testing
source" instead of "apt-get -t testing install" to get source packages
instead. I am not experienced enough with Debian to give a recommendation
- try searching the archives.

Adam