Semi-Old Video Card Recommendation

I'm in the market for a new video card, so I'm fishing for suggestions.  I will
mostly be working in 2D apps (mainly internet, office apps).  I do *not* intend
to play any taxing 3D games such as Quake or Counter-Strike; however, I would
like to do some video editing (transferring home movies to DVD or VCD, perhaps
some DVD ripping).

Ideally, I'd like to run at 1600x1200 or higher on a 20" monitor at 24bit color
depth.

Would a pre-Radeon ATI card or pre-GeForce3 nVidia card do the trick? Would I
need to bother with compiling the proprietary drivers if not using 3D apps? In
perusing the list archives, I see that the newer ATI/nVidia cards will not even
work without grabbing XFree 4.3 from Experimental, so I'd rather use an older
card that works out of the box with Sarge/Sid and kernel 2.4.x, particularly if
I don't need to extra power of the newer cards.

Thanks for any suggestions.