Help: New kernel image, boot trashed

In the continuing attempt to get my ext3 active, following instructions in
the Debian Reference, I apt-got a new kernel image (so I took the 2.24-1
version, i686-smp. This installs demanding and initrd.

I edited lilo config with an /image option to use this new image and the
initrd.img-... created by the install (the journal and ext2 and ext3) in the
mkinitrd modules file.

I never got to try it out! Instead of the menu presenting my old and new
images, I get L 99 99 99 99.... and after a bunch of 99's, nothing.

What did I do wrong. I can get into the system with the Knoppix CD--how do I
fix it?