Re: Documentation and Usability

On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 17:32:49 -0600, Mac McCaskie wrote:

> Paul Morgan wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 13:18:50 -0600, Mac McCaskie wrote:
>>
>> So you would wish, for instance, to deprive me of a package which I can
>> understand and use simply because the documentation is not adequate enough
>> for you, or for somebody non-me, anyway?
>
> Yes, because otherwise a value judgement is imposed on the potential
> users' level of competence.  Wouldn't you like to have the opportunity
> to use something you just heard of?  Under these qualifications, only
> those in possesion of the required knowledge would be able to use it.

I find your reply more than a bit bizarre.  If *you* can't understand
something, then *I'm not allowed access to it.

That is a stunningly selfish attitude.

Hopefully, you understand how to drive and I can therefore keep my car.

--

It is important to realize that any lock can be picked with a big
enough hammer.
               -- Sun System & Network Admin manual