Re: confused with initrd.gz VERSES initrd.img

On Sun, Jan 18, 2004 at 12:08:38AM -0800, Dennis Kaplan wrote:
> On Saturday 17 January 2004 06:15 pm, Kevin Mark wrote:
>
> This worked out almost perfect.
> First of all I have to say I like your boot up menu much better - I am keeping
> that no matter what.
> The new kernel is booting fine now, below is my new lilo.conf file in case
> someone else needs it as reference.
> However I have a major problem, which has nothing to do with lilo.
> My mouse does not work with the new kernel for same reason.
> It is a stone age regular serial mouse nothing fancy - I used to run the gpm
> driver and it was working or lets say it is still working with the old kernel
> but it does not with the new one. So I have switched back to the old kernel
> till I figure out what gos on.
> I been reading about modules for the kernel could it be that there is a
> missing or different module in this new kernel?
Hi Dennis,
cool!
I was thinking in the subway about this and said 'doh!'. the linux
kernel can be uncomprsses, thus vmlinux, or gz compresses, thus vmlinuz,
so the initrd has the same behavior.  I have read the volumes of mail
about 2.6 but not in any detail. I dont plan to 'make the jump' until
maybe 2.6.1 or 2.6.2 or whenever I get the nerve! Klaus Knopper (or
knoppix) will be at my lug this month and will explain about 2.6, so I'm
going to take notes! but I have heard about usb keyboard/mouse issues
the most. How did you get the kernel? apt-get install kernel-package?
kernel.org? what config did you use? did you do 'oldconfig'?
the main thing is to check /var/log/dmesg,/var/log/message and
/etc/log/Xfree86.0.log for any hints as to what is/is not happening.
Good luck with the mouse problem. try some cheese!
-Kev