New kernel crashing - how to test without corrupting disks?

Hi,

I am having problems with CD mounting crashing 2.6.1. Each time it craches it freezes and I need to hard reset. Reboot always has severe disk errors on /var and some time in /. I suspect improper set of driver combo to be the problem. I like to try a couple of combination. But like to minimize the risk of disk corruption. How do I prepare before issuing an kernel-killing command? Perhaps go into single user mode and unmount most of the partitions? Are are more things that can be done to prepate well for a freeze test?

Thanks and Regards
Ramesh