Re: Documentation and Usability

On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 22:04:48 -0500
Carl Fink <carlf@fink.to> wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 17, 2004 at 08:21:13PM -0600, Jacob S. wrote:
>
> > There's one more point I'm surprised nobody's mentioned yet. The
> > documentation for the "other" operating system.
>
> Jacob, comparing yourself to Windows in order to look good isn't very
> challenging.  :-)

True, but Mr. McCaskie did when he started talking about a "lack of
documentation in Linux" - look at the start of the"Documentation and
Usability" part of this thread.

> I repeat what I implied before:  Debian isn't for beginners who want
> hand-holding.  There are plenty of distributions that specifically do
> supply just that (for a fee), notably SuSE, Xandros, and Libranet,
> the latter two of which also give you what's basically Debian.

If you're talking Debian in the strictest sense of the term, I only
halfway agree. I recently setup a mix of Sarge and Sid on a computer for
a family member - one that has never used anything other than Windows -
and they're now able to connect to the internet, use aim and e-mail.
True, I installed it and set it up for them, but that's also the way
most store bought computers come these days when you want Windows
installed on them.

I've also given several Knoppix CDs to friends to show them how good
Linux is.

Jacob

-----
GnuPG Key: 1024D/16377135

Going from DOS to Linux is like trading a glider for an F117.