Re: Documentation and Usability was Re: EXT3 at install..no more?

On Sun, Jan 18, 2004 at 12:04:26AM +0000, Richard Lyons wrote:
> On Saturday 17 January 2004 22:35, Kent West wrote:
> > Monique Y. Herman wrote:
> [...]
> > >I honestly wonder how people who are as impolitic as the OP manage
> > > to keep their day jobs.
> [...]
> > Whereas the regulars, such as Monique above, are correct in what they
> > say, I'd like to speak up in behalf of the OP.
> >
> > He's not been with us long, and doesn't yet understand the culture of
> > this list. He got frustrated,
> [...]
> > Yes, he should have been more
> > polite, but I think he's gotten the idea of our general feelings on
> > the topic; now it's up to him to learn to "fit in".
> [...]
>
> Well, there you have it.  We are walking down the road in a town some of
> us know quite well, and others (me) much less well, and a visitor comes
> up and yells at us because the street signs are not clear enough for
> him.  Of course it's frustrating -- I've just given up time and time
> again: checked into a different hotel unable to find the one I booked,
> so to speak.  I generally find it another day (month).
>
> But this has been a bad week for tempers here.  Quite a few rants and
> upsets.  Has anyone else wondered if it's seasonal?  Subject for a
> little paper, perhaps?  SUBTLE - Seasonal Usenet Bad Temper Loss
> Episodes... Climatic Recurring Influences on the Internet Community At
> Large (that's CRITICAL, in case the reason for the random word order
> wasn't obvious).
>
> It must be bed-time...
>
> --
> richard

Thats a good point, it might also be a little of everything, maybe these people are stressed
out at work, or the moon is almost full.  Maybe the only way they know how to blow off steam
is to let it out on someone else.  Many times that is the new user who doesn't have a clue
as to what is really going on.

Then you have those who at all cost feel they must enforce every little rule or tradiation, so
that they feel important. I guess it all comes down to how tolerable we are to each other.
I don't mind if someone tells me I am off topic, because sooner or later what goes around comes around.
No one is perfect, we all make mistakes we were all new to Debian at one point.
This is supposed to be a community, a community is supposed to help each other, maybe a little
hand holding is in order from time to time.  If something is off topic once in a while does it really
hurt the community? Maybe in responding to someone's off topic subject we have made them feel better,
and that we care enough to respond.

Rthoreau