Re: DNS Question (maybe?)

Sometime near Sat, Jan 17, 2004 at 09:23:12AM -0600, Mac McCaskie wrote:
> Hey Folks,
>
> What do I need to do to get a new site to show up in DNS?  This is the
> scenario: I've just connected a pc via satalite to the net, now I want
> it to show up as a sub-part (is that the right term?) on our domain.
>
> ie  our domain is "foo.net"
> and we want it to show up as "104.foo.net"
>
> we already have named running locally in the Home Office
>
> what should I do?

Ummm, if you run the authoritive name server for foo.com then add a line
like this to the zone file for foo.com

104	IN	A	127.0.0.1

But replace 127.0.0.1 with the machine (104's) internet IP address.

Also make sure you update the timestamp at the top of the zone file.
Its a number like 2003100401, replace it with the date in a format like
this YYYYMMDD and just add 01 to the end, incase you make another chage
that day then you can just +1 so its 2.

After all that reload you name servers config. In debian

/etc/init.d/bind9 reload

(assuming your using bind9 and installed it via apt)

Otherwise refer to any docs you got with your name server

Best of luck :D
--
Cheers,
rinmak <rinmak@technine.org>