Re: Documentation and Usability was Re: EXT3 at install..no more?

On Sat, Jan 17, 2004 at 10:23:37AM -0600, Mac McCaskie wrote:
> Colin Watson wrote:
> >rigid and spout rubbish about "secret incantations".
> .
> .
> >patronizing nonsense.
>
> rigid?  not hardly, I am asking everyone to be less rigid on what the
> noobies must to do.  It should not be asked of them to bow down and
> scrape in order to gain admission into the great and sacred learning hall.

Documentation could most certainly be better. But this overblown
verbiage is just that, and it won't ever make anything any better, for
you or anyone else. What makes things better is when you HELP.

Clear?

> Just get over yourself and look at it from the viewpoint of someone
> trying to learn a very complicated and disjointed system with an immense
> amount of mostly barely useful and out-of-date documentation .

I did it once, too. I distinctly remember writing more documentation to
explain the bits that didn't make any sense to me, rather than whining
about secret societies that don't exist.

Cheers,