Re: editors (was: Re: Differences in RH Fedora coming from Debian)

On Fri, Jan 16, 2004 at 12:21:09PM -0700, Monique Y. Herman wrote:
> On 2004-01-16, Pigeon penned:
> > I hate both of 'em. If all I've got is the "standard tools", I use ed.
> > I find it *much* less painful than using vi. Or emacs. Seriously.
> >
> What's your preferred choice?

My first exposure to a full-screen editor other than vi or emacs was the
Borland Turbo C 1.0 IDE. It wasn't modal, and the cursor keys worked. It
was more or less love at first keystroke. (For those who haven't come
across it: DOS's EDIT.COM appears to have based its UI on Borland's IDEs.)
So I have a liking for things that work more or less the same way. I'm using
jed in a text console to write this, as I do for most jobs that only involve
working on one or two files at a time; the default Debian customisation of
it is fairly Borlandesque.

For larger jobs, I like RHIDE, which is a clone of the Borland IDE.
Unfortunately, it was originally written for DOS / DJGPP, and the Linux port
is not all it could be; in particular it's necessary to frog about with the
character set to get the line drawing characters etc. to display properly.
Also it seems unlikely that it will become part of Debian due I think to
Free-ness issues. However there is a woody .deb available from
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/rhide/rhide_1.5-1_i386.deb .

--
Pigeon

Be kind to pigeons