Re: Berried Question

On Friday 16 January 2004 11:49 am, Pigeon wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 15, 2004 at 04:32:41PM -0800, Dennis Kaplan wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I think my question got berried in the list so I like to add some more
> > info and ask again.
> >
> > One of my two Debian installations is very slow.
> > On the bottom I have added the output of top & the output of hdparm.
> >
> > Intel 1000 MHz, 1000Mb Ram, 40 + 20GB HD
> >
> > The slow machine:
> > Intel Celeron Processor 1 GHz
> > 100 MHz System Bus
> > 256 KB L2 Cache
> > Amptron ?PIII-3758TLM Board v 5.2
> > ? ? MicroATX with SiS630eT Chipset
> >
> > Kernel: I have tried many.
> >
> > At first I did not know if the problem was with the hd speed the memory
> > speed or the CPU till I found out that it was the CPU load, meanwhile I
> > have tried following installations with no change in speed
> >
> > 1) Regular of the newest Debian CDs
> > 2) using Knoppix hdinstall 2.4.22-xfs then upgraded to the 686 Kernel did
> > not use xfs
> > 3) using Morphix hdinstall with kernel 2.4.21-xfs and used xfs file
> > system 4) using Morphix hdinstall with kernel upgrade to 686-smp but did
> > not get it to work
> > 5) running now Morphix hdinstall with kernel 2.4.21-xfs but not with the
> > xfs file system
> >
> > The problem is the CPU load when idle it runs between 5-30 %
> > As soon as I start an application it goes up to 100% and stays there till
> > the application is done loading. Loading an application like Kmail takes
> > about 2 to 3 minutes.
> >
> > /dev/hda:
> > ?Timing buffer-cache reads: ? 172 MB in ?2.00 seconds = ?86.00 MB/sec
> >
> > /dev/hdb:
> > ?Timing buffer-cache reads: ? 100 MB in ?2.06 seconds = ?48.54 MB/sec
>
> I'm guessing a bit here, but these figures look very slow for a 100MHz
> system bus. Some BIOSes allow you to change various settings to do with bus
> speed, DRAM timings and the like. Have these got screwed somehow? Can you
> "Load optimised defaults" in the BIOS setup and does it change anything
> and/or affect the speed?

I just started Knoppix & Morphix from CD and both run like a charm. Now why
would it run slower from a hd install then it runs from CD.
I don't have the answer but maybe one of you guys know why that could be.
My current install has a 2G swap on /dev/hdb6, 5G / on /dev/hda and /var /
home /usr on /dev/hdb5 thru 9

--
Dennis Kaplan

http://vmclinks.com