Re: My system has Flashbacks?

On Fri, Jan 16, 2004 at 02:52:31PM +0000, Pigeon wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 15, 2004 at 01:39:40PM +0100, Jan Minar wrote:
> > It's a feature.  The ATX PCs are mostly on, even when ``off'' (think
> > standby), too.
>
> Which is a misfeature. Sometimes on a dual-boot system "ATX-off" isn't
> enough to reset everything and you have to pull the plug to avoid it locking
> up when booting the other OS.

It should allow such things as waking up on network activity, etc.  You
have malfunctioning HW/SW even without ATX :-(

>                               It can also result in damaged hardware if you
> swap bits around without pulling the plug.

Well, you just have to switch it off first... ;-)  Every decent ATX
power supply has a /real/ power switch.  It's at the back of the PC,
usually.

Cheers,
Jan.

--
Jan Minar                   "Please don't CC me, I'm subscribed." x 9