ieee1394 on boot?

Hi,

I'm running x86 Sid (2.4.22 kernel), most everything "just works" after installing discover and hotplug.

However, I use Kino to do digital video editing, and to import/export video to my MiniDV camcorder.

The import/export won't work unless as root I do a manual modprobe for the video1394 driver, then a manual mknod to create the correct character device.

Question #1:
How can I set it up so that the modprobe/mknod happens at boot?

Question #2:
Is it reasonable to expect hotplug to handle that automatically when I plug in my camcorder?

Thanks for your time,

-Paul