editors (was: Re: Differences in RH Fedora coming from Debian)

On 2004-01-16, Pigeon penned:

> I hate both of 'em. If all I've got is the "standard tools", I use ed.
> I find it *much* less painful than using vi. Or emacs. Seriously.

What's your preferred choice?

I'm just now reading the chapter comparing editors (A Tale of Five
Editors) in ESR's new book, so this discussion is interesting to me.

http://www.faqs.org/docs/artu/ch13s02.html

I think he gives short shrift to vi in various ways ... like, he
mentions that he's really talking about later versions of vi that have
rc files and the like, but then he claims that there's no way to add to
vi functionality without using C, because there's no built-in mini
language.  The wide variety of apps I can pull from
http://www.vim.org/scripts/index.php seem to belie this, unless I'm
totally misunderstanding his point.

--
monique