Re: IDE-SCSI lost after boot up!

> [...]

> been
> loaded before ide-scsi. If you use a module-only configuration
> (ide-scsi and ide-cd as modules), you can do the following:
>
> rmmod ide-cd
> rmmod ide-scsi
>
> modprobe ide-cd ignore=yourcdwriterhere
> modprobe ide-scsi

> If the ide-cd driver is loaded before ide-scsi, and nothing tells
>it which devices to ignore, it will access all ide cdroms, and
>ide-scsi,
> if loaded later, won't. If it does, configure some file in
>/etc/modutils to contain the line
>
> options ide-cd ignore=yourcdwriterhere
>
> and run update-modules to ave your changes to /etc/modules.conf.
>
> If it still doesn't work, give us more information, including:
>
> the append line of your bootloader
> the output of dmesg | grep command
> the output of dmesg | grep ide-scsi
> the output of dmesg | grep ide-cd
> all lines from /etc/modules.conf regarding ide-cd and ide-scsi
>
>> After doing some digging I did find a old copy of modules.conf
>>and ,
> >then copied the new copy to modules.conf.new then renamed the old
>> conf to modules.conf.

>Don't change /etc/modules.conf directly. Its content is generated by
>update-modules from the files in /etc/modutils. Edit them instead.
>Or
>create your own file in /etc/modutils.

>> Whats really weird is cdrecord does work, but its cdrdao 1.1.7
>>that
> >gives me problems.
> >
> >cdrecord gives me this by ide-cd module.
> >
> >rcall@Raiz_mpx:~$ cdrecord dev=ATAPI -scanbus Cdrecord-Clone
>>2.01a19
> >(i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2003 Jörg Schilling
>>scsidev:
> >'ATAPI' devname: 'ATAPI' scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2 Warning:
> >Using ATA Packet interface. Warning: The related libscg interface
> >code is in pre alpha. Warning: There may be fatal problems. Using
> >libscg version 'schily-0.7' scsibus0: 0,0,0 0) 'LITE-ON '
> >LTR-32123S ' 'XS0X' Removable CD-ROM 0,1,0 1) 'LITEON ' 'CD-ROM
> >LTN526 ' 'YH0X' Removable CD-ROM 0,2,0 2) * 0,3,0 3) * 0,4,0 4) *
> >0,5,0 5) * 0,6,0 6) * 0,7,0 7) *

>Well, this seems to verify that all your drives are accessed by the
>ide-cd driver. cdrecord has experimental support for writing without
>ide-scsi emulation, but I never tried it and don't know if it is
>reliable.

>Also /maybe/ cdrdao does not work because it doesn't have
>permissions to
>access the ide device files which belong to the disk group (at
>least,
>if cdrdao isn't suid root). You could try to change ownership from
>root.disk to root.cdrom for your cd writer device file (but _not_
>for
>your hard disk). And /don't/ add yourself to the disk group.
>However, I
>thik the preferred way still is to use ide-scsi emulation, at least

Wow followed your suggestions about removing the modules in questions
and then modprobing them back into the kernel.  I thought that
modules support was supposed to be smart and take care of problems
like this?
rmmod ide-cd
rmmod ide-scsi
modprobe ide-cd ignore=yourcdwriterhere
modprobe ide-scsi
I am running some tests, like blanking some disks, and other tests to
make sure my system does what it is supposed to do, then I will
probably post a solved title in the header.
Once again thanks a million, I really appreciate all the Debian
support, and the time that users take to follow the list.

See I knew a Debian clue bat was all I needed, kudos to all.

Rthoreau