Re: If a computer is sold with preinstalled SUSE, shouldn't it work with Debian?

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 22:37:57 -0500, alex wrote:

> If a computer works with a preinstalled SUSE system and doesn't have an
> installed MS Windows system,  what problems can be expected with adding
> and running additional systems like Debian and a MS Windows if the hard
> drive is properly partitioned?

Depending on which Windows you are installing, it may take some thought to
get it booting OK - make sure, if it's NT-based, that you understand
boot.ini and you have a bootable floppy with a boot.ini editor on it just
in case.  But I'm running XP and debian sarge OK together with lilo as the
boot loader.  And I've moved my XP partitions around several disks
without ever having to either reinstall anything or rewire the drives, so
there's no decrease in reconfiguration flexibility.

--

Programming without a hex editor is like watchmaking without a hammer.