Re: Default profile settings in mozilla-thunderbird

	It doesn't quite follow the standard relationship between /etc (global)
and ~/. files (users).

don't want to argue on that.

BTW mozilla is not ported to linux

	Ever heard of XPCOM?  If that ain't a port...

Yes heard of it. http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/webservices/library/co-xpcom.html
for you to read about it.

In short xpcom is partly derived from corba. And that is platform independent from the scratch. No port, nothing. Actually, nothing ms specific at all.

it is a suite running on multiple-platforms. Thus a cross-plattform tool. It does not contain so much differences from win to linux & vv.

	That is the point, it was made originally for MS Windows and doesn't
quite follow the POSIX standards and conventions.

What convention do you mean. I can't see such conventions! The problem is sometimes, that there actually is no such standard for linux. E.G. where is the posix standard, which application to select for a specific protocol (not mime-type). So you have an app and want to open an app for a certain url (e.g. a simple mailto:zuff@qwerty.uy, or newprot://123-some-uri/asa/connect#129292122). What config file should I look into? What system call should I make to get that info? AFAIK there is no such thing. If you know it, please let me know.

Distributions or window manager must provide quasi standards, that of course often don't work in other environments. So no standard in those cases either.

	These aren't Debian system settings, they are POSIX and GNU system
settings.  This shouldn't be optional, and is a sign of something from
abroad.

Maybe they are ... I have not investigated on that. Nevertheless debian appears to best integrate that ;). If they integrate a standard, let them go. If not ... not that bad either. Don't complain about abroad things, that doesn't matter.

--
PGP messages preferred. |  .''`.  ** Debian GNU/Linux **
Alexander Sack          | : :' :      The  universal