Using S.M.A.R.T. on a Software RAID

Hi,
Does any one have any experience using S.M.A.R.T. (via smartmontools)
to monitor their hard drives in a software RAID configuration?  It
seems to me that using SMART would be a great way to let you know that
one of the drives was about to die, but I don't know if the
smartmontools package will work correctly when the RAID system is in
production.

Any comments people have regarding this would be appreciated.
	-- Robert

--
    Robert James Kaes    ---  Flarenet Inc.  ---    (519) 426-3782
		 http://www.flarenet.com/consulting/