Re: Differences in RH Fedora coming from Debian

On Thursday 15 January 2004 09:19, Alex Malinovich wrote:
> I'm taking a class this semester which is all about installing and
> using Linux. After talking with the professor on Tuesday, I've
> learned a few details. First, I have to use Vulgarly Illogical for my
> text editor for the purposes of labs, tests, etc. As illustrated by
> the previous sentence, I'm an emacs user. :)
[...]
I have to admit to the reverse prejudice.  Cannot get all those ctl-X
combinations into my head...

> We're going to be working on Fedora systems.
[...]
> So, with all of that said, what can I expect in the way of
> differences. I have already confirmed with him that any and all GUI
> tools will NOT be used for any labs. (i.e. all installation and
> configuration will be text-only, with config files to be edited by
> hand) I know, for example, that the default document path in RH
> systems is /usr/doc while in Debian it's /usr/share/doc. What other
> things like this should I look out for? Can I still expect all config
> files to be in /etc, does RH use /etc/init.d/ and friends, etc.

RH also uses the sysV init stuff, but the rc.d directories are
subdirectory of /etc/init.d , IIRC.  It also has a command 'service'
for starting/restarting/stopping services and another chkconfig for
listing/modifying the sysV services, which may not exist in Debian (I
haven't found them yet anyway).

But Fedora must be less unpleasant than a slap round the face with a wet
fish.  Why not take it as a learning exercise and install it on your
laptop for the duration of the course?  You're sure to learn more that
way.  Then you can swap back to Debian afterwards (and probably learn
something extra doing that too).

--
richard