My system has Flashbacks?

Hello,

this is not a problem as such. Rather a curiosity, but if someone could
tell me what is going on -- I'd really like to know.

>From time to time, my system just stops. Circumstantial evidence points
to my putting this Athlon in power-saving mode as the reason, but that's
not the topic here.

The curious thing I notice is that when I hit the reset button, the
system boots, fsck's... lots of text scrolling by... eventually gdm
comes up and I log in...
and here it comes: while Gnome2 starts (large box with several icons
coming up) the screen will, for a brief moment, SHOW ME THE VERY SAME
PICTURE as I had when the system halt occurred. This lasts only for the
fraction of a second, but long enough to be sure that it is the very
same webpage, or document, or whatever, I was staring at a few minutes
before, realising that I need to reboot.

The first time I thought it was me hallucinating, but I've had it
several times so far. In fact, every time when the system just ground to
a standstill. I'd consider it reproducable if i knew how to provoke the
preliminary system halt.

What I don't understand is how the picture manages to come back. Or
rather, in which forgotten deeps of my video ram it manages to survive.
Isn't the video hardware being initialized first by the chipset, and
later when X comes up to show me the gdm login? Not to mention the fact
that there are lots of different stuff being displayed before this
'ghost picture' makes it's reappearence.

cu,
Schnobs