Re: 2.6 and devfsd

On Sat, Jan 10, 2004 at 11:30:05PM +0000, Alan Chandler wrote:
> On Saturday 10 January 2004 22:47, Nate Duehr wrote:
> > On Saturday, Jan 10, 2004, at 15:38 America/Denver, Alan Chandler wrote:
> >
> > Isn't devfs deprecated in 2.6 completely?
>
> Maybe, but there is clearly legacy support - my /dev directory seems to aquire
> some directories automatically - for instance installing modprobe psmouse
> caused /dev/misc/psaux to appear, and then a symlink from /dev/psaux to this
> file also appeared.

Yes, devfs is considered to be deprecated in the 2.6 kernel and it has been
replaced with sysfs and udev.  You should be able to find more information
in Google.  Also, bear in mind that there were some major changes in the
way the kernel deals with modules too, so it wouldn't surprise me if the
nVidia drivers are broken.  Aren't those binary drivers, by the way?

Nitebirdz
http://www.sacredchaos.com/