2.6 kernel not autoloading modules

I added the following line to /etc/modprobe.d/bttv:

  alias /dev/video* bttv

and issued an `update-modules` (from module-init-tools). The change
is correctly reflected in /lib/modules/modprobe.conf (which violates
the FHS!), but when I try to access /dev/video0, it can't find the
device:

  can't open /dev/video1: No such device

If I `modprobe bttv` by hand, everything works fine.

What am I doing wrong?

`. `'`