Re: Challenge-response mail filters considered harmful

On Tue, Aug 05, 2003 at 11:38:48AM -0300, Anthony Rowe wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 05, 2003 at 06:40:55AM +0100, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> > Similarly, Alan's mail configuration breaks threads for some reason.
>
> Yes well, he and I were both curious about reading the gateway using a
> newsreader (slrn) and responding to the list using an MUA (mutt).
>
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2003/debian-user-200307/msg03153.html
>
> It turns out that the References: and Message-ID: headers are
> rewritten by the news gateway.  I have since discovered that threading
> can (hopefully) be preserved by copying the News gateway headers,

Not to those headers in your own post, I hope ... (Apologies if you
meant to construct a new References: header based on those and I just
misunderstood you.)

> Veering [further] off-topic, I notice that at least one other person
> has posted a genuine question to the News gateway in the last few days
> (the person was admirably helped by someone else reading and posting
> to the gateway).  I guess it is non-obvious to some people grazing
> Usenet that the gateway is meant to be RO.  I am wondering if a post
> to the gateway could be automated to go out every week or two just to
> clarify this to the Usenet denizens (who may have legitimate questions
> for the list)?

I think that would be useful. However, the news gateway is, as far as I
know, run by a third party, so you'll need to contact whoever that is to
arrange for it to happen.

Cheers,