Re: Challenge-response mail filters considered harmful

On Tue, Aug 05, 2003 at 06:40:55AM +0100, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> on Tue, Aug 05, 2003 at 01:50:26AM +0100, Pigeon (jah.pigeon@ukonline.co.uk) wrote:
> > On Mon, Aug 04, 2003 at 05:48:42PM -0400, ScruLoose wrote:
> > > A properly designed program *even if it doesn't know PGP* will just
> > > display the message text, leaving the signature alone it its own
> > > attachment.
> >
> > And a decent client that does understand PGP will do the same if you
> > tell it to, so you don't have to be encumbered with it if you don't
> > want to be.
>
> Alan's complaints here are very curious as his headers indicate he uses
> mutt.  Which was designed as a reference RFC 2015 implementation by
> Michael R. Elkins, specifically to provide PGP signature and encryption
> support.

I found Alan languishing in the news gateway trying to post a useful
pointer in response to someone on the list.  I pointed out to him that
this is a mailing-list and to post to the list if he wanted his posts
to be seen.

http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2003/debian-user-200307/msg02923.html

> Similarly, Alan's mail configuration breaks threads for some reason.

Yes well, he and I were both curious about reading the gateway using a
newsreader (slrn) and responding to the list using an MUA (mutt).

http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2003/debian-user-200307/msg03153.html

It turns out that the References: and Message-ID: headers are
rewritten by the news gateway.  I have since discovered that threading
can (hopefully) be preserved by copying the News gateway headers,
far better to subscribe to the list if posting often.

Veering [further] off-topic, I notice that at least one other person
has posted a genuine question to the News gateway in the last few days
(the person was admirably helped by someone else reading and posting
to the gateway).  I guess it is non-obvious to some people grazing
Usenet that the gateway is meant to be RO.  I am wondering if a post
to the gateway could be automated to go out every week or two just to
clarify this to the Usenet denizens (who may have legitimate questions
for the list)?

It could say something like:

This is intended to be a Read-Only gateway to Usenet News of the
debian-user mailing-list.  People who wish to post to this list should
send an e-mail to debian-user-request@lists.debian.org with a subject
of "subscribe", and then post to the list using their mail client.

Tony