Kernel 2.4.20 with skas crashes with user-mode-linux

Hello

I've recently updated an AMD Duron machine to the new debian unstable kernel (I've installed the debian unstable kernel-sources-2.4.20 version -8 package, patched that with the debian skas kernel patch, and compiled it manually with my usual .config).

The box ran fine, I started a uml instance (the first time with skas support in the host kernel) with the standard debian image from the uml website, set up tap0 networking, then dit 'apt-get update; apt-get upgrade' inside uml, it began downloading, but then the whole box froze. Not entirely, it would still answer to pings, and I could switch virtual terminals on the console (and iirc even type in root enter, but then nothing would happen).

Has anyone experience with uml on debian? Is the debian uml software too old? Is there a more serious problem in debian's 2.4.20? (skas is the only modification I've made to the kernel, and the skas patch is very small; if a user process can take down the machine, something must be broken, and if it's not the skas patch, it's debian's newest 2.4.20-8 kernel; the machine never crashed for more than a year with earlier kernels, though I never really used uml on it).

Christian.