Re: what's wrong with rsync?

Quoting Richard Hector <rhector@paradise.net.nz>:
> On Tue, 2003-01-28 at 22:39, Jeffrey L. Taylor wrote:
> >
> > Be sure and use it only behind a good firewall, in a trusted LAN.  The
> > whole r* (rsync, rsh, etc.) series is wildly insecure.
>
> Well, (according to the manpage) it uses rsh by default, but it can use
> ssh as an alternative.
>

>From the man pages:
       You can also specify an  alternative  to  rsh,  by  either
       using  the  -e  command  line  option,  or  by setting the
       RSYNC_RSH environment variable.

       One common substitute is to use ssh, which offers  a  high
       degree of security.

Old age and overloaded brain.  I've used this.  It is quite secure.
Don't run the port mapper on either end so it can't be cracked and you
can't accidentally use rsh instead of ssh.