Re: Maintaining a mixed system

On Saturday 18 January 2003 09:54 am, Seth Williamson wrote:
snip
> However, for a few--a very few--apps, I would like to run versions that
> are newer.  I'm not talking a lot here.  Probably Evolution, Galeon,
> Abiword, and that's it.  Otherwise I'd like to run everything stable.
>
> Can somebody tell me how to modify my sources.list file to get this
> done, and what the command would be to update those particular apps?  At
> the moment I have the standard sources.list file that comes with a
> Libranet 2.7 install.  Thanks...
>

> Seth Williamson
> Floyd, VA

You need to add testing &/or unstable sources to your ~/sources.list. Use
'pinning', which uses the '/etc/apt/preferences' file. There have been quite
a few postings on this on this list, a search on 'apt_preferences (man page
also), or pinning will get you the details.  Evolution in Unstable has quite
a few depends, not sure if now would be a good time to grab Evolution. You
can always just do a test run.
Greg Madden