all kde apps hang on startup

Sorry if this appears more than once.  I had some difficulty posting via nntp...

I'm running unstable, with kernel 2.6test11.  Whenever I start up konsole,
kwrite, kate, konqueror, or any kde app I get:

QPixmap: Cannot create a QPixmap when no GUI is being used
QPixmap: Cannot create a QPixmap when no GUI is being used

...and the app hangs.  k3b hangs after I've gotten a bit further (it gets
as far as bringing up the splash screen and probing my ide drives).

If I wait around long enough, I see some additional output:

QPixmap: Cannot create a QPixmap when no GUI is being used
QPixmap: Cannot create a QPixmap when no GUI is being used
kbuildsycoca running...
Mutex destroy failure: Device or resource busy

There's nothing logged in messages/kern.log/syslog/XFree86.0.log

Am I the only one?

Thanks,
Rich

PS: On the plus side, this has introduced me to the wonders of xfce4 and
Eterm :)