Re: Can't connect with my new ADSL

----- Original Message -----
From: "Anthony Campbell" <ac@acampbell.org.uk>
To: <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Thursday, December 11, 2003 9:27 AM
Subject: Re: Can't connect with my new ADSL

> On 11 Dec 2003, Brian Potkin wrote:
> > On Wed, Dec 10, 2003 at 11:31:26PM +0000, Anthony Campbell wrote:
> >

> > If pinging is successful you should now be able to connect with the
> > browser and use your username and password to set up the ADSL link with
> > BT.
> >
> > Brian.
>
> Well, I got this far: pinging 10.0.0.2 worked, but I still could not
> connect to it with a browser. "Connection cannot be established."
>
> Should there be an entry in /etc/hosts? But what?

No.  /etc/hosts is used for name resolution.  It is odd that you can ping
10.0.0.2 but not connect with a browser.  I wonder if your PC is configured
as 10.0.0.2 and you're pinging yourself.  Does the pinging stop if you pull
out the Ethernet cable?  Care to post the ifconfig output?  Also the
contents of /etc/network/interfaces?