Re: GUI login screen and non-root shutdown...

S. Hakim Hamdani wrote:
just logout and it will go to text mode or use ctrl+alt+F1 if you use the
latter simply press ctrl+alt+F7 to get back to graphical mode

When I do that, I get back to the login screen, and no way of getting out of
there, except killing the xserver, which is a bit harsh.

H.

I'm not sure what you're saying.
-- If you're logged into X, and press Ctrl-Alt-Fx, you'll switch to VTx (e.g. Ctrl-Alt-F3 to go to VT3), and from there, if you hit (Ctrl-)Alt-F7 (in most cases; F5 I believe with Knoppix, etc), you'll switch back to your open session in X. -- If you're not logged into X, but are sitting at the GUI login screen (such as gdm or kdm), and you do the above procedure, you'll switch to the VTx, then back to the GUI login screen.

If you want to shut down the GUI login screen and just have text mode, switch to VTx, and then run something like "/etc/init.d/gdm stop" as root. This particular command will shut down the gdm GUI login screen.

Free Tip for You and Your Friends/Family:
-----
If you have an X session going, and you switch to a VTx, you can then log in as a different user and start a second X session with a command like "startx -- :1". Go to a third VT and start a third session with a command like "startx -- :2"). You can then switch between these X sessions with Ctrl-Alt-F[7|8|9]. NOTE: Test first when you don't have anything important running; some video setups can't handle this and might freeze the box.

--
Kent