Re: please help, lost my partition

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 at 17:52 GMT, LeVA penned:
> Hello!
>
> I lost my partition. One of my most important ones...  It is a 100gb
> partition with all my personal datas, emails, documents etc...  I had
> a crash in kde, and I had to reset the computer. After the boot, the
> boot process said that it can not mount /dev/hda2. Unfortunatelly, I
> can not write you exactly the output, because I can't copy/paste, so I
> have just my brain to remember the lines.  It says Can't find ext3
> filesystem on dev ide0(3,2).  mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad
> superblock on /dev/hda2, or too many mounted file systems.
>
> When I type cfdisk /dev/hda it can not detect that /dev/hda2 is an
> ext3 fs, so under the FS Type column it writes Linux, instead of Linux
> ext3. I had a problem like this before with another filesystem. The
> problem was EXACTLY the same. Crash -> reboot -> can not mount.... But
> then probably I made a huge mistake: typed fsck /dev/hda1. It asked me
> a lot (realy lot), so I ctrl+c'd, and typed fsck -y /dev/hda1. It
> worked a lot (20-30mins), and wrote a lot of things, like bad imagic
> number (or like that), and wrong inode etc... but the question was
> always the same: Clear?<y>. I couldn't choose. Yes, clear... After
> fsck finished, I had a still unusable partition, could not mount it,
> and couldn't fix it, because after that, every time I typed fsck
> /dev/hda2, it said can not find superblock, specify another superblock
> with -B option. I tried a lot of number but neither of them worked. So
> I lost that partition.  I _don't_ want to lose this partition. I need
> this partition. Half of my life is in this partition. Please someone
> help, what should I do to preserve the data on my partition.

It sounds like your partition is dead, gone, bye-bye.  It might not be,
but I'm betting it is.

If you don't want to lose a partition, if half of your life is on a
partition, you *need* to be backing the data up.  I learned this the
hard way, as I'm sure have most fervent proponents of backup.

There are data recovery companies out there.  They are not cheap.  In
all likelihood, you will decide that "half your life" is not worth the
cost of hiring these folks.  That's what I decided, anyway.  Now I back
my system up.

--
monique
PLEASE don't CC me.  Please.  Pretty please with sugar on top.