All pdf attachments defanged by spamassassin

Hi I'm using Spamassassin with Exim on a Debian stable system. The version
of SA is a
backport from Debian Sid.
Everything is working fine except inbound PDFs attachments appear to be
defanged. When this happens there is also no SA tags in the header even
though it is being handled by the SA-Exim router.
Two tests I've done is to send three identical emails. One with a PDF, the
other two with a DOC and jpg. The 'doc' and jpg emails come through with the
header tags and a
'doc' and jpg attachment.The PDF email comes through with no SA tags header
and the pdf
is now inline ASCII. Neither of these two emails were tagged as spam (which
is correct).
I have tried setting report_safe to zero but no change.
Also I turned on debug, and its as if spamassassin doesn't see it - it logs
nothing

Any ideas anyone?

--
Patrick