Re: Debconf complains of database corruption; apt system wedged

    JDB> Hi.  After a nasty crash during a dist-upgrade, I discovered
    JDB> that /var/lib/dpkg/status was missing (fsck must not have
    JDB> been able to save it). I restored a copy form /var/backups,
    JDB> and threw away a file from /var/lib/dpkg/updates/ that was
    JDB> making dpkg choke (it was malformed, probably truncated) and
    JDB> resumed the dist-upgrade.

    JDB> Unfortunately, something else in the dpkg/apt system seems to
    JDB> be hosed, and I'm not sure how to fix it.

More Googling revealed:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2001/debian-user-200111/msg00393.html

The solution is apparently to empty (e.g., rm $i; touch $i) the files
in /var/cache/debconf.

--Joe

--
Joseph Barillari -- http://barillari.org