Re: why is debian the only distribution that won't let me run X?

On Sun, Oct 26, 2003 at 03:44:37PM +0100, Dr.-Ing. C. Hurschler wrote:

> On Saturday 25 October 2003 01:15, Paul Johnson wrote:
> > Why not actually read the prompts given to you by debconf?  It's
> > really hard to screw that up...
> >

> > Paul Johnson <baloo@ursine.ca>
> >
> I disagree.  It even took me a while to figure out what settings I needed to
> get my wheel-mouse to work.  It also took me a while to realize that I needed
> to load kernel video drivers in order for the xfree86 driver (mga in this
> case to work).  And I didn't find the remark about "dpkg-reconfigure
> xserver-xfree86" in the config file for a while either.
>
> There are lots of things that aren't at all obvious to a newbie that isn't
> necessarily a computer professional of some sort trying to get Debian
> installed the first time.  I did it, and I'm glad I did, but simply telling
> someone to just read the prompts isn't helpful.
>
> Chris

The same is true for me;
under "woody", 'debconf' didn't get me anywhere. I guess one has to be
rich enough to keep up with recently sold mainstream computers. My old
AMD 133 MHz with a 1 MHz Tseng ET4000 required some manual surgery to
get my configurations right. (Works nicely now with 'icewm-gnome'.)

This is not to blame any Debian developer: I am just experiencing what
it means to add some adaequate instructions to my little anti-spam mail
handling system; it seems to take much more time than programming the
stuff itself.

btw.
Does anybody know how to get a "100x40" or "100x37" textmode with a NOT
SVGA-compatible graphic card, I mean a replacement for 'SVGATextMode' ?