Maintaining many backported sources (was Re: spamassassin vs. html emails)

On Thursday 09 October 2003 21:51, Vineet Kumar wrote:
> That way, you know exactly which packages are being upgraded to
> unofficial versions.  Sometimes, with large collections of backports,
> it becomes more difficult to track which packages come from where,
> and which are required for what.  I have no doubt that all of
> Aurelien's packages are high quality, but I like specifying more
> precisely exactly what I want to upgrade and resting assured that the
> rest of my system is pure stable.

Now that you mention it... This is something I've been thinking about
for a long time that I was about to ask about but felt I had not quite
RTFMed enough about... Anyway....

I have quite a lot of backports in my sources.list, and I don't want to
install backports unless I know that I need them. Most backport
maintainers have a lot of packages, and that's great of course.

The ideal would be if I could configure APT to just get the packages I
ask for from the backporters, not the rest, and still keep the deb
lines in sources.list. An apt-get upgrade would install any updates to
packages I have installed, but not upgrade those I haven't installed,
and only security upgrades for those....

There is some stuff in the APT HOWTO about pinning, and that could be
it, but I haven't felt adventurous enough to try it out, because I feel
I haven't quite grasped it.

Is there some way to do this...?

Best,

Kjetil