Re: LI Hang, recovery??

Christof Hurschler wrote:

Hi,

I'm getting the LI hang on boot.

Probably because LILO didn't completely, properly get installed.

 I tried booting from my floppy, but it
gives me a kernel panic...
I never boot from floppy, so am unfamiliar with the issues. If you have a Debian installation CD, or a Knoppix CD, you can get in that way. You just have to feed the "boot:" prompt with the appropriate parameters.

I now read that I can boot from floppy with the "rescue root=/dev/hda1", but
I'm assuming that this is the default mode the floppy boots in anyways, or
is it?
Again, not being familiar with booting from floppy, I don't know what the default mode is. However, the command you give will only work if your root partition is on /dev/hda1. If it's on some other device (second IDE hard drive, a SCSI drive, the second or fifth partition on the first drive, etc) this paramater will need to be changed accordingly.

If you're not sure (because you just installed and don't remember how you set things up), you can try booting off a Knoppix CD (or similar), which should get you in far enough to take a look at your partition tables (or at /etc/fstab).

If I could get back in with the floppy, I'd try rerunning LILO to get things
back in order, but I'm afraid I'm not going to get that far.  Any
suggestions?  How can I tell if I've got a real hardware problem? Knoppix?

I doubt you have a "real hardware problem". If you do, it's likely in the boot sector or BIOS of your machine, and Knoppix would pretty much bypass any such issues and therefore wouldn't provide any real information on that issue. However, Knoppix is good for getting into the system where you can make repairs to any software configuration issues you have.

--
Kent