unstable Compaq Evo W6000

Hi, I am having a hard time with an SMP system. Yet I am unconvinced
the problem is SMP related. I've installed knoppix to hard disk on
my workstation a work, a dual-Xeon Compaq Evo W6000. It's thus in
effect a debian testing/unstable setup. It hangs more or less randomly
but the freezes I see seem related to network activity. It initially
had kernel 2.4.20 and I have since tried versions 2.4.21 and 22, from
knoppix or stock debian ones - to no avail.

The machine is rock stable under NT4, and is supposedly certified for
linux (well RedHat and SuSE, not explicitly debian). I found a note
on the SuSE site saying "acpi=oldboot" was needed as a boot parameter
for those models, but this has not worked for me. Could it possibly be
a SuSE-specific kernel patch, that debian does not understand? BTW,
given a kernel version, where are all the valid boot parameters documented?
Anyway none of the combinations noacpi/nosmp/nomce lilo boot options
have helped with this unstable machine.

I am hoping someone has tried debian on this beast, and could help.
I can of course provide the hardware details if required. Also,
correct me if this is not an appropriate forum for this type of questions.

Thanks in advance.